Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

Who Wants to Live a Million Years: Analysis of a Natural Selection Simulation

  1. It took four tries for my species to survive a million years. If my species did not have the needed genes to get through a catastrophic event and could not adapt quickly enough, they would die. I believe this is definitely true for any real species. 
  2. The successful phenotypes I chose were long legs, long necks, stripes, fur and fat. These phenotypes showed the widest variety which was necessary since i could not predict what would happen. I knew my species needed to be ready for anything. Long legs and camouflaging stripes allowed the species to run and hide. A long neck helped the species reach fruit high in trees, and the fur and fat kept them warm in cold weather.
  3. I do not think that my species would be greatly affected by genetic drift. The species was well rounded enough to be prepared for almost any sudden catastrophic event. 
  4. The dominant phenotypes seemed to be fur and long legs. They appeared most commonly, almost always being present. A long neck seemed to be recessive. It randomly appeared even if it was not an original phenotype or had been absent for awhile.
  5. A: fat and fur, B: slim with no extra body fat, C: camouflaging stripes and long legs, D: long neck and tall
  6. I believe this game would be more realistic if the phenotypes were less predictable. Adding in mutations or harmful phenotypes might enhance the stimulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment