Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Before I talk about my plant there is something that has caught my attention.
Both of the images to the left I used to think they were pictures of my plant, broccoli. I now know that is not my plant but kohlrabi.  My plant is still alive though but isn't as big because it has had to compete with the kohlrabi. Even though it is not getting that big it is still doing. It does this by feel division. Cell division or mitosis is a process were a  eukaryotic parent cell makes two exact copies of itself.  By doing this it can keep on adding mass to what ever it is in.  A way the cell can do this is because of photosynthesis. Photosynthesis is a process in which plants take in the suns energy through chloroplast. Chloroplast turns the energy in to glucose or sugar. This helps power the cell.  A plant in some ways is also like an animal it has to respire. Respiration is not the same thing as breathing. Respiration is a process in which animals or plants take in a gas and change it to another. Animals take in oxygen and change it into carbon dioxide, but plants do the opposite they take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen.

No comments:

Post a Comment