Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2014

John's Seed Story

This past week, I got the opportunity to sit down with my teammate, John, and talk to him about his experience with this semester-long experiment.
(KC is me [Katie Carley] and JM is John)

KC: What have you learned throughout the course of the Story of the Seed Project?

JM: Well, I have learned a lot about the various biogeochemical cycles. I also learned a lot about what a plant needs to survive and how it gets the things it needs. I studied a lot of biodiversity and genetics of plants. I also realized how many factors can affect my plant, both abiotic and biotic. I also was surprised to find out what a big role my plant plays in the ecosystem.

KC: Did you learn anything specific about our plant, Romanesco broccoli, or Brassica oleracea, for that matter?

JM: I learned about a large variety of brassica oleracea. I previously did not know what Romanesco broccoli or Brassica oleracea was, so it was cool to be learning about that for the first time. I knew what broccoli was, but I didn't know there was such a variety of it. It has so many relatives!

KC: Have you had any memorable moments? Things that made you laugh?

JM: I liked raising our seed into a growing plant. I also enjoyed planting it in the big garden ad watching it grow. I had a lot of fun and memories from all the early mornings in the garden. It was really to be planting with all my friends.

KC: Did anything you did during the experiment surprise or amaze you?

JM: I was surprised at how fast my plant grew without me really tending to it in the garden. I am sad to say this, but I was shocked to find a that another species of Brassica oleracea invaded my plant's area and overtook it. It was a tragic day for us. However, it was a learning experience. It amazed me how competitive plants can be for space in the garden.

KC: What made you pause, and think a little deeper? Did anything you were studying interest you to research it further?

JM: A question that slipped into my mind was "why do plants instantly know to grow upwards?" However, I now know why it does this. It is because of its genetic code. Its code tells it to grow upwards towards the sun. For example, in our beginning experiment, we had a test subject that had hardly any soil in it, therefore making it lower than all the other test plants.  Because of this, it ended up growing taller than some of the other test subjects.

KC: Do you have any questions about the things you observed or experienced in the garden?

JM: As a matter of fact, I do. I would like to know how a species of plant with no defense mechanisms could survive with a common predator. For example, cabbage moths would create large holes in my plants leaves. Yet, it would still survive. Another question I have is to why my plant lost to the kohlrabi. Even though, my plant started off larger than it.

KC: Any final remarks?

JM: I would like to thank my partner, Katie, for helping me with my experience with the Story of the Seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment