Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Biogeochemicals Cycles and Your plants


In the four weeks since we have planted our plant I have noticed quite a bit of change.  The leaves are starting to get larger and the broccoli is spreading. When we first planted it accidentally snapped one of leaves off, but it has grown back even larger than before.  From this past week I can now describe how my plant plays an important role in the water cycle and the movement of water through the biosphere.  When it rains (precipitation) it gets absorbed into the ground then taken in through the plants roots.  Then is does something which makes my plant important.  It goes through a process called transpiration. Transpiration is when the water that is taken in through the roots is carried back up to the leaves and then is released back into to atmosphere as vapor.  To the left 
photo #1
photo # 2

is an example of a plant going through a process of transpiration. I can relate this to the changes in my plant because I can clearly see that it has grown and for it to do this it must take in water. When it takes in water it then must go through transpiration.  Another thing that my plant participates in it the movement of carbon.  The way a plant starts it of is through photosynthesis.  Photosynthesis happens when a plant takes carbon dioxide and use the suns light energy and turns it into sugars. Then plant eaters like dear or the pestering caterpillars who my broccoli then take in all the nutrients from the plant. When the animal leaves dropping of the plant it releases the carbon back into the air. I can defiantly see how this has effected my plant. Photo #2 is my plant and if you look closely you can se little holes in the leaves. These are left by caterpillars. Because the caterpillars ate my broccoli they are leaving with a lot of carbon. and when they leave waste the carbon will be in it releasing itself back into the atmosphere.  Then is cycle is repeated. Lastly my plant helps out the nitrogen cycle. When an animal leaves waste it contains high amounts of nitrogen.  Then it is absorbed into the ground. Plants take it in for nutrients. A animals eats the plant and the process is repeated.  Like when a caterpillar eats my plant a bird can eat it and when the birds leaves dropping in the soil and my plant absorbs the cycle repeats. I know my plant has been doing this because it would not have grown as successfully if it didn't.                             


                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment